Monday 28 March 2016

OUAN503 - Introduction to Collaborative

This was the start of the collaborative section of the responsive module. After christmas we were given the task to create several slides about ourselves and our work as a way of pitching ourselves to the people on illustration and graphic design. The purpose of this was so that people could contact us if they liked our working style and then collaborate. The first of the three slides had to have our name and email address on it so that we could be easily contacted, also with four images of our work that we thought represented what we did best. I tried to include as much diversity as possible on this slide, taking things from various briefs so that it demonstrated the different ways I had worked and hopefully appealed to a wider group of people. The second slide had to include four images of professionals work that we admired and so I chose four different artists that had influenced me throughout the time I've spent discovering artists. The final slide was simply the briefs we were interested in working on so that if people across different courses shared a desire to work on a brief then they were able to work with individuals through that means. My slides are shown below. I chose work from my final title sequence project form last year as well as images from the most recent project as that was in my mind quite fresh and some of the best work I've done in the past year. The artists I chose to show included, animator, Makoto Shinkai and artists, Daniel Dociu, Chris Sasaki and Jon McNaught. I also tried to make the images as big as possible without making it look overcrowded, simply so that it was clearly visible for the brief period it was on the screen during the presentation (about 5 seconds per slide).



Following on from the presentation of our slides we moved from the lecture theatre to the cafe area where there were tables set up for the different briefs. The idea was to go to the table with the brief of our choice on and discuss our ideas and hopefully find people to collaborate with on this project through this. I sat down with around seven other people and realised that they were nearly all illustrators. We spoke a little about the brief and what we liked about it before splitting into two groups, a group of four and a group of three. I'm working with three illustrators; Tilly, Ian and Chay. Overall, I don't think the slides had the effect they wanted to in terms of allowing people to find people to work with. From what I could tell a lot of people simply went to the table with the brief they most wanted to work on and found people there. It was quite difficult to take any names down or have a good look at the work displayed on the presentations because it was moving so quickly.

Once our group had been established we created a group chat that we could communicate in and exchange ideas within. I went away and the weekend following the week our groups had been established I started attempting to generate ideas. My worry with this particular brief is that the deadline is quite close, at around the middle of March and we're already approaching the middle of January. I trust that we will be okay in terms of organisation and having produced something that we're happy with, but it does add pressure to the situation in that we don't have a large amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment