Saturday 26 March 2016

OUAN503 - Secret 7" - Jack Garrett, Worry

This was the second track that I designed a record sleeve for to enter the Secret 7" competition. Looking back I think this was the track that I had the least ideas for, and probably ended up in my opinion as my weakest and the piece that was the most simple. I don't think it was my weakest just because it was the simplest of the record sleeves I created, however it wasn't my usual style so on one hand I wasn't used to working in this way and the design possibly suffered because of this. Alternatively, I got to work in a different way than usual and through this learnt something about the types of designs that were possible to make in a simpler, less detailed way.

Similar to when thinking about my first design I was trying to find an image that would compliment the title of the track but also perhaps have an element of story within it. I like the idea of the cover of a record sleeve being a little more than just simply an visual representation of the title track, and so I had the idea to produce a storyboard on the cover telling a story. At this stage I was unsure exactly how to do this, I decided I could either do a two or three scene storyboard illustrating a story or the idea of a story, open to an audience's interpretation or do very small panels and tell a longer story, in this instance the record sleeve would have to be picked up and examined in order to read the full story through the use of panels. This could become an interesting and fun idea for the record sleeve image. The reason I chose to do go with the story idea on this particular piece is that the title of the track, 'Worry' in my opinion is open to this kind of narrative driven interpretation and visual execution. I started sketching ideas, and at this stage I thought it would be more dramatic to have a black background with white illustrations or silhouettes on top of this. I started with two panels, both with a boarder and one on top of the other. Telling this kind of two part story appealed to me for its concise and to the point storytelling, but it also has room for interpretation from the audience. The first image I thought of creating was an open hand, as if to be 'giving someone a helping hand' or equally, being there for someone else. Using this motif I decided the second part of the story excerpt could be two hands coming together, as if someone is being comforted. Ultimately a child's hand seemed to fit quite well and this that's how the illustration was finished. I played around a lot with some details I could add and sections of colour that could be added. But I think with this image in particular, the simpler it was the more effective it felt. I did make a minor adjustment to the background, changing it from black to a more natural, beige colour - which I thought fitted better. This image in contrast to the first image I had made, was created using a mixture of traditional and digital media. Specifically, all of the assets were made using paper cut outs, and marker for the background - the image was simply retouched and cleaned up using Photoshop. Like all of the illustrations I planned to create for this brief, I wanted them to give off an atmosphere and provoke some kind of emotional responsive from the audience in some form. I think this kind of image has a theme that a lot of people can relate to so hopefully it will work as intended in this respect. Overall I liked this image, it wasn't the kind of work I usually produce and it definitely took some will power to leave it as simple as it was without going back and working into it further, but I think the simplicity is what makes this image what it is. This is what I liked about the design, and in a way I hardly recognise it as my own which is interesting but also has proven to me in a small sense that I have been able to do what I wanted and work in a way and in a style I haven't before.

Jack Garrett - Worry

No comments:

Post a Comment