Monday 2 March 2015

OUAN406 - Interim Crit - Feedback

During the interim critique for the applied animation module I was given some insight into the types of projects people are working on and their process so far. Whilst seeing how other people were handling the briefs we'd been set I felt quite inspired as to the thought that people had put into the work they were doing and felt quite motivated afterwards.

I found the feedback and response to my presentation very helpful. My presentation included the book I had chosen to work on and the work I had done in terms of research so far; this included aspects such as mood boards, initial artwork, storyboards, and reference material. Which in this case predominantly included title sequences. After my presentation certain points were raised about my project. Firstly, the use of sound. I was asked what I was considering in terms of sound. At this point I had thought about music that could fit and contribute to the dramatic shots that I want to feature in the animation such as harsh or visceral orchestral music featuring cellos and violins as I thought this 'Sherlock Holme-esque' style of audio would work best given the world the story is set in. Aside from this, I hadn't really though much about sound effects but if I were to include them they would be bustling city sounds as well as the sounds of steam and other industrial noises given the context of the surroundings.

Another point raised was the positioning or use of credits within the animation. I feel there are two ways in which this can be done at least that I have seen so far, and that is to place the credits over the top of the title sequence using the sequence as a background. The other is to incorporate the titles into objects in the animation to make the placement of the credits seem much more seamless and natural rather than placing them over the top which is an the idea that is appealing to me at the moment out of the two.

Next, someone mentioned sourcing materials for the sets. Which was already something I really needed to think about. It was mentioned that there is a miniature fair in Birmingham which often displays miniatures at 1/12th scale in terms of size. This is something at this point I need to start looking into because I need to make the most of my time. I also had a quick look online to see if I could find anything. There is an abundance of miniature furnishings and sets online but the only problem is the price, so I should probably keep looking in order to find something more affordable within the constraints and limitations of the project.

Finally, Mat mentioned I should reconsider my idea for building the set for the city in the same way I plan to build the set for the lab. There is a few ways I could do this, firstly a compromise on the making idea, and build layers of a city rather than a full 3D model. Another way the city set could be achieved is to make it using 3D software in order to emulate the 3D city. Finally, still using 3D software I could draw the layers of the city and layer them to create a space for the camera to move through. The only problem with some of these ideas is making it so the transition between different scenes or sets is seamless and isn't too much of a jump in style. I thought that perhaps making it in 3D and then transitioning this to the stop motion set may be too different. So I will talk to Roger in the metal and wood workshop in order to get another opinion of what is possible given the time I have allocated myself to this section of the project which is around four to six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment