Thursday 5 March 2015

OUAN406 - Maya Modelling Skills

Keep On Truckin'

This task was to introduce us as a class to the basics of working in the 3D software package, Maya. This was my first time using the software and at first it looked daunting due to the amount of features and functions it had packed into it. However, after following the step by step guide that was given to us in order to create the simple truck, I feel much more confident. The guide showed us how to produce basic shapes and move them around the work area along the x, y and z axis. One of the more difficult parts about the software I found was maneuvering around the software and changing the direction and view that the camera had, which is one of the most straight forward aspects to the software. It was quite satisfying however seeing the object we were trying to create come together in front of you despite its simplicity. I was starting to understand the way the software worked and realised how versatile it was. There were some functions that made the process easier, like the ability to duplicate objects so you don't have to produce the same shape over and over for example. My favourite part of the tutorial was rendering the image with lighting, it was incredibly gratifying seeing a full rendered composition of the objects I had made including the realistic daylight mode that we rendered in. I tried my best to produce some dramatic and interesting compositions before rendering out the objects, below are the final results.



Do it Yourself

For this task we had to use what we learn in Maya on the first task and apply it again in order to model a new object of our choice. I thought I would do something fairly simple since I didn't feel overly confident with Maya at this stage. The object I decided to model was a pencil. The process was quite straight forward and using a reference I was able to get the proportions of the different pencil sections fairly accurate. The main tool I used was the 'extrude' tool, used to extend the different sections and also shape the tip of the pencil for example. Overall I'm quite happy with how the object turned out, and I tried a range of different angles and positions before I rendered the final images.

No comments:

Post a Comment