Thursday 7 April 2016

OUAN503 - Feathr, Initial Image Boards

This was my starting point for this brief, as soon as I had some basic ideas about the kind of themes that could be used to create patterns and repeats I made some image boards for inspiration and they've actually been very helpful at assisting me in determining the things I will be able to do with this brief, also giving me some ideas to use as a starting point. In the brief 'Feathr' suggested using a theme of 'Natural World' to encourage ideas from a starting point, and I really like the idea of using this is a reference so I sort of took this to heart and came up with the idea of looking at bacteria, fungi and all the naturally occurring shapes and textures that present themselves within these naturally occurring phenomena. I made an image board exclusively form these types of images and I was pleasantly surprised straight away at the huge range of shapes, colours and textures that I noticed within them. Making image boards like this is something I've picked up recently as I always seem to start projects slowly, so as a test I started filling the time I would otherwise spend not doing much due to a lack of inspiration and starting point to compile visual references and it's having a positive effect on me. I think making image boards like this has helped with this brief especially because as a brief it's so open and the avenues of design are virtually unlimited - a really helpful technique overall.

As well as the board I made on bacterial shapes and fungi I also made several others; one looking at general textures, one looking at examples of repeat patterns and images focused on the natural world. Each gave me some insight into an area of this brief that I didn't have before. I need to look into repeat patterns and learn the method of creating them, so it was really insightful to look at examples of that before I look into it further. Finally, looking at textures on a broader scale than just natural textures created with fungi and bacteria has given me alternative avenues of inspiration not just for the way they look but looking at how they were made, whether it's paint, ink or natural formations.

No comments:

Post a Comment