Monday 18 April 2016

OUAN505 - Final Storyboard

Following on from the revision of the script and premise of the animated documentary as a whole in terms of the content and the types of scenes we decided to include and leave out I did a full revision of the storyboard so that we knew scene by scene what the plan for the piece was. Aesthetically this storyboard is less refined than the original but I've made sure to communicate scenes in as much detail and in addition to this made sure to explain any of the more subtle aspects of the storyboard verbally to the group so that everything is a clear as it can be moving forward. I think that although we won't be using the old storyboard as a reference anymore it can still be used as a guide for our colour pallet and the overall clean cut style we are going for, so it's not redundant despite us not continuing to use it for the animation itself.

The new version of the storyboard indicates a total of 25 scenes in it over the 2 minute running time of the documentary. There are a couple of scenes that are subject to being dismissed when it comes to the animatic and combining the recorded narrative with the storyboard in order to determine the best way to present the documentary. Ideally we don't want scenes to be constantly moving off and on screen but equally I wouldn't want certain scenes lingering on screen for too long and becoming stale for the audience whilst they're watching - as I previously mentioned I want to keep the audience entertained and engaged for the full 2 minutes if possible. The materials used to create the storyboard were simply the combination of black marker and fine liner; fine liner for the lines and smaller details which encompasses the vast majority of the story board and a black marker to create silhouettes and define certain shapes where necessary. The reason for using these materials was simply for efficiency as I needed a relatively quick turn around on the storyboard so that we could progress. I liked this technique and the speed I was able to illustrate panels at, so I will be using it in the future on other types of pre-production work that require a quick turn around.

I made sure to use some of the storyboards I've looked at in the past as reference to take some of the ways in which they communicated certain camera movements or on screen movement through annotation on the storyboard itself. To do do this I included arrows next to frames indicating the camera movement. This can be seen with panels 6, 7 and 8 where the arrows are indicating a tracking shot from left to right as the camera essentially pans across a forest scene. Furthermore, for clarity when working directly with the storyboard I included small annotations under panels explaining actions or details that are specific to that scene. I generally think the more information and detail in the annotation the more successful and true to the original concept the final piece will be, also making sure all of the smaller details are accounted for whilst adding clarity to what needs to be down for both me and my group. Finally, I can now use this version of the storyboard to create a new animatic that will fit much better with the current script and voice recordings we have. From here we will have a finalised idea in terms of our sequence that we can create remaining scenes for. Equally important to this is that we will have more accurate timings for each scene and where it falls time wise in conjunction with the narration.

No comments:

Post a Comment