Saturday 6 December 2014

OUAN05 - Choreography / References - The Classical Elements

Ever since the idea to feature two characters fighting, and giving them the samurai feel and aesthetic the thought of not being able to pull of the natural movement needed to make work has been daunting to me. During the group feedback session we had for our development work it became apparent that it would be important to choreograph the movement of the characters so that I had a clear idea of how to approach the animation, and know exactly what I was doing during the process of drawing the frames for the fight sequence. There are several ways that I can help myself understand and achieve this process that I discussed with my group during the feedback session. The first was watch other choreographed fight sequences whether they be from animation or live action. The next way I can help this process is to take my own reference photographs and videos to reference poses that I can use when drawing the animation, to encourage natural movement, poses and an overall more realistic movement style.

The references I've looked at so far within animation include;

Samurai Champloo, Episode 1 - Jin Vs Mugen (Fight #1)
Samurai Champloo, Episode 25 - Jin & Mugen Vs Kariya
Star Wars: Clone Wars, Episode 13 - Mace Windu Vs Battle Droids
Avatar the Last Airbender, The Chase - Aang Vs Zuko Vs Azula

Seirei Moribito, Episode 3 - First Spear Fight
Sword of the Stranger - Nameless Vs Unknown
Sword of the Stranger - Final Fight

Live Action

The Matrix - Neo Vs Agent Smith
Kill Bill Vol.1 - The Bride Vs The Crazy 88s
The Forbidden - Lu Yan Vs The Silent Monk
Ip Man - Ip man Vs General Miura
Ip Man - Ip Man Vs Black Belts
Ip Man 2 - Ip Man Vs Hung Chun-Nam
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - Yu Shu Lien Vs Jen Yu
The Raid 2 - End Sequence
The Raid 2 - Train Scene (Hammer girl)
Ong Bak - Fight Scene



Samurai Champloo, angle.a

Samurai Champloo, angle.b

No comments:

Post a Comment