Monday 22 December 2014

OUAN05 - The Classical Elements - Incorporating After Effects

Simulating Snowfall
Once I decided I wanted it to be snowing in my animation I took the animation into after effects where there is the option to simulate snowfall, I thought this would be a consistent and easy way to achieve the desired snow effect whilst making it look professional. 

Altering Colours, Brightness & Contrast

The option to alter the brightness and contrast on the colours of the animation proved useful just go alter the atmosphere and overall feel of the animation in terms of the weather and time of day because of the levels of colour and shadow. 

Altering Snowfall Simulation Properties

After effects gave me complete control which adding simulations to my project. For example, for the snowfall I wanted to add, I was giving a list of multiple properties that I can adjust to give a much more desired effect with the snowfall I included. The changes I made included, the number of flakes and the speed of the snow as it fell. This was to make the snow appear thick and heavy. Finally, I altered the direction the snow fell with the wind speed and direction to make it feel more like a blizzard, and emphasise the weather. 

Effect, Motion Blur
Between the switching of camera angles or directions I wanted to make it so it didn't just snap to the next scene. Instead I experimented with different transitions before settling on the timing option, 'pixel motion blur' which gives an interesting effect when the camera makes a dramatic change. It also makes the direction of the animation feel less clean cut and less polished, which given the story and context of the animation is something that suited it well. 

Motion Blur Properties
Here I was given the option to change the properties of the motion blur feature I added. I altered the shutter angle slightly to make the transition more obvious and a little more harsh. 

Adding Titles, After Effects

Given the diversity of the features after effects has to offer, I also added a title at the very beginning of the animation. I also made it so it transitioned in and out nicely at what I felt to be the right moments with a fade effect. I made it so the text started to leave the screen as the opening scene transitioned into the next and I think it worked quite well from a timing point of view. 

Motion Blur Effect

Here is an example of the motion blur effect used a transition, just as the scene above starts to change. You can see the distortion in the characters lines. 

Example of Snowfall

Here is a still shot from the animation to show the level and type of snowfall that was used in the final animation, I tried to make it so the snowflakes were large and many to emulate the idea of thick snow building up over the terrain. 

Motion Blur Effect

Another example of the use of motion blur to transition between scenes and shots in the animation, this is more obvious, I like in particular how it compliments the harsh weather and makes the scene very hard to look at in this respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment