Wednesday 10 December 2014

OUAN05 - The Story / Storyboard - The Classical Elements

The overall premise for the storyline for my animation was that a warrior would be shown walking down a road before stopping himself and pausing as he meets another warrior or traveller on the road. The two ronin warriors then engage in a fight sequence that would last for around three quarters of the allocated animation time. The storyboard sequence below shows my thought process for each major scene change or action for the duration of the animation.

At the very beginning of the storyboard the scene is set where the background I've illustrated is show for a few seconds as the scene fades in. I plan that the title when I decide on one also be shown at this point in the animation, during the fade in stage, to add some realism and life to the scene I'll have a leaf blow from one side of the screen to another to show the direction of wind allow for a point of interest. I think the addition of some movement here in the form of a leaf will allow for a wind sound effect to be added and the use of a leaf gives a seasonal aspect to the environment, in this case an autumn/winter scene.

From here I'll transition to the next scene which I plan to be a walk cycle, but a close up show of a characters upper body/head. This will add some diversity to the camera shots used throughout the animation and create an overall more interesting viewing experience. The walk cycle will continue for around three or four steps before the character comes to an abrupt stop and pauses for a second. I want to make sure to include the sound of footsteps in the snow whilst the character is walking, to really get across the idea of the winter environment. I also think that the walking with the added sound effect will be emphasised and the illusion of walking increased. The final addition to this segment of the animation will be the slight panning of the background to make it seem as though the character is actually walking, however, due to the distance between the character and the buildings I have indicated in the background the panning will be extremely slow, but noticeable nonetheless.

Once this scene has ended, an outward pan will take place where the shot for the fight sequence will be framed, and that's how it will be remain for the next 10 or so seconds of the animation until the scene changes again. During this segment, the characters will charge at each other and brawl with what I hope will contain quite fluid animation, or more fluid than I have been able to previously achieve given my limited time animating. I have noted in the story board the kind of movements I want to emulate in the fight sequence based on fight scenes I have watched and the aspects of those I liked. The use of movement is important here so I've tried to make the sequence simplistic yet interesting and varied for the audience.

The sequence ends when the characters take a step back and charge at each other with the final few frames consisting of a fixed image as the scene fades out, alerting the audience to the end of the animation. 



Storyboard.a

Storyboard.b

No comments:

Post a Comment