Friday 6 February 2015

OUAN404 - Study Task 1 - Set, Series, Sequence

For our first 'visual language' brief we were given the task of producing a set of thirty-two illustrations followed by a series of eight illustrations of the same idea but produced in different ways, so experimenting with media etc. Finally, a sequence of twelve illustrations in the form of a storyboard that told a story. The theme of the illustration was based on a word we chose from a choice of nine which were; dance, tank, science, flight, envelope, fork, bug, skip and plant. The word I decided to work with was 'science' because it covered a huge range of subject matter when I brainstormed ideas from it, and from the idea generation methods such as brainstorming I instantly was flooded with ideas of different illustrations I could produce around the word and what materials I could use to make them. Especially with this brief, I really wanted to branch out a little from using pencil and pen simply, so I collected different materials and potential methods of working such as acrylic paint, pencil crayons, water-colour paint, brush tipped pens, and ways of working digitally.



In terms of noting down all of the ideas I had for the word 'science', I tried to be as open and broad as possible so as to keep the subject matter interesting and try to leave out the obvious ideas such as science equipment, lab coats and bio-suits to really get to the heart of the word and produce some interesting compositions using different mediums to portray the subject for what it was. An example of what I mean here is using acrylic to produce the illustration of the sun like star. In this case I feel like pen or pencil wouldn't have been able to portray the expression I wanted from this image. During the brain storming process it made me realise how much the word 'science' actually covered and how far I could take it, it got to the point where thirty-two images wasn't enough to satisfy everything I could have covered from my ideas. The themes and subjects from my brainstorm included;

Universe, milky-way, Earth, Solar System, Human, Cell, Atom, Particle, Biology, Chemistry, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Life Sciences, Physical Science, Geo-Science, Mathematics, Sociology, Astronomy, Psychology, Bones, Cosmology, Anatomy, Ecology, Oceanography, Geology, Zoology, Botany, Skull, Brain, Planets, Shuttle, Black hole, Science Lecture, Telescope, Human Outline, Tree Diagram, Astronaut, Flowers, Gravity.

This was a collection of types of science to work from, and to divide that even up further provided me with a huge amount of material to use and work with, not only as subject matter itself but the potential for using different materials here to produce and replicate the types of textures, colours and substances was really fun to be able to plan and do.

Set



Series



Sequence

No comments:

Post a Comment