Sunday 17 May 2015

OUAN406 - Post Production

Panning Scene

After the footage had been shot, I felt a lot could be added to the clips I had in order to make them as good as they could be when it came to the colouring and changing subtle aspects of them such as the shadows and the lightness. The software I was using for the post production stage of the production was After Effects. I felt fairly comfortable at this point using the program and navigating through the menus as I had used it previously on several other projects. Firstly, I took my favourite clip, one which really showed off the set and the details. I noticed at first that there were some small sections where the camera shaked very slightly, so I used a stabilisation tool that After Effects has to help correct this. Once this was done I trimmed the clip a little to take off any unnecessary footage and then colour corrected it to make it darker and more ambient. This brought the video to a new level and at this point I was starting to feel much more comfortable about the direction it was taking. There was one final detail I added to this scene, which was a shimmer on the bottles as the camera passed and the light hit them. Aside from these things, there was one other thing that I would have really liked to change but didn't manage to. Due to the lighting I used there was a prop on the set that had a really strong white highlight on it that was quite noticeable in the clip. I wanted to add a mask layer to it and change the colouring of it, this proved to be quite difficult however and after attempting it several times I didn't think I could do it convincingly enough where it wasn't detrimental to the scene. So ultimately I decided to leave it as it was.

Above Shot

The next section I edited was the first clip in the sequence you see in the title sequence of the set, which is the above shot. I made this scene a lot darker and turned up the levels of the highlights in the scene to put emphasis on the spotlight that moves across the room. This is the scene I wanted to add the ceiling fan to, I felt that without this kind of movement it would just be a series of still panning shots which would have lacked in depth and realism to me. The way I made the ceiling fan is I made a solid layer the size of the composition and used this to make several mask layers with I used as the components of the ceiling fan, the rotary blades and connectors for example. The different shapes were then linked together as a separate composition and I made the layer into a 3D layer. Using the different axis in the 3D layer I altered the angle on the fan to fit in with the perspective. Once this was done, I set the shape to rotate on the x axis around 24 times per second, and added motion blur and another type of blur to make the motion seem realistic. The final step was to add a shadow on the floor area below the fan, and the scene was complete.

Other Scenes

With the remaining scenes the main modifications I made were associated with lighting and colour correction. Furthermore, there was another stage after all of the clips looking how I wanted where I spent a fair amount of time deciding which clips should be cut short or which sections should be left as they are in order to accommodate and abide by the 30 seconds length that was asked for the brief. After taking some sections out and deleting any unnecessary footage I managed to get the sequence to add up to 30 seconds which was the length I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment