Sunday 17 May 2015

OUAN406 - Producing the City Scene

The way I went about creating this scene, where I had planned for the camera to move through a city scape was actually a developing idea, and I wasn't sure until I was making the scene specifically how I was going to do it. Due to the very helpful After Effects induction we were given I was aware of the use of 3D layers and the implementation of a camera which can be passed through or past objects as if the audience is moving through them. I took this and decided to utilise it to create a 3D scene composed of physical objects I had designed and cut using the laser cutter. A long with some post production effects and some editing on Photoshop.

The first step of this particular process was cutting the buildings. They were designed on AutoCAD using the references from my Gothic mood board as well as some other online references where I was able to create some unique designs for Gothic architecture that I thought fitted the style and aesthetic I wanted to achieve. Once the pieces were cut, using a mixture of rastering and engraving I took them and scanned them in to create 2D files that I could then take an use in Photoshop and After Effects. The reason I chose laser cutting is that the effect that the laser creates when it burns into the wood gave the designs some character and texture before I had even begun to work on them digitally. Furthermore, I decided that the use of wood, would coincide with the colour scheme and general aesthetic of the set, which was made in a similar fashion using similar materials. Photoshop was then used to add texture and colour to the designs. In a sense I think it helped bring out some of the details of the wood cuttings using a different colour, this can be seen in the archways on the second segment down from the top on the cathedral design shown below. Then, Gothic patterns were overlayed to add further details the buildings and give them a sense of realism and authenticity before taking them into After Effects. I repeated this process with all of the other buildings I had designed and cut, including; towers, the bridge, and the churches.



Once onto After Effects I imported the Photoshop files and made a new composition where the objects were turned into 3D layers. The most difficult part of this process was scaling them and arranging them appropriately, which required a constant amount of rearrangement until they were at a stage where I thought the layout looked appropriate for the scene. A backdrop was added to the scene, which consisted of a sun set. Some minor colour correction here helped me achieve the mood I wanted with the sky, and to blend in the buildings with the rest of the environment a bit more I also added two light sources. One of the light sources was a very low intensity spot light, allowing me to demonstrate the location of the sun in relation to the buildings and hence cast shadows on each other due to the blocking of light. This again added to the realism of the scene. Finally, an ambient light was added to blend the scene together more.

Next, a camera was added and key frames were placed, setting the pace of the camera as it moved through the entire scene. After some careful adjustment I decided that around 6 seconds was a good length of time for the camera to get through the buildings, meaning the camera movement wasn't too slow, but didn't go too fast. Making sure that the pace of the title sequence consistent with the footage of the laboratory environment. The positioning of buildings and camera was modified several times before I was happy with the final composition, and the scene was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment