Sunday 17 May 2015

OUAN406 - Storyboards

This was the first storyboard I produced to illustrate my idea and the overall scene by scene layout for the title sequence production. The initial idea was essentially having the camera move through a large city scape, with each scene becoming more focused on the location of the main characters laboratory. Scene (a) being the extreme wide shot of the city scape, followed by a shot of several Gothic buildings in scene (b) and then finally in scene (c) the close up of the building where the next scene takes place. The majority of the action and content of the title sequence then takes place inside the enclosed laboratory setting. The idea of the close up shots of different details around the room stemmed from the title sequence research I did and more specifically how a lot of of them featured sequences of vignettes that demonstrate characteristics or details of the story that in turn really set the tone and pace of the piece that it was introducing. In this particular version of the storyboard, there is close up shots of the book case and other furniture, scientific diagrams and anatomical studies, and bottles and jars filled with different substances and objects on the characters desk. I then wanted to show the character from behind, working in his work space by ultimately although the character was made, I never pursued this idea and decided to bring the character out of the production, leaving only environmental shots in the final title sequence.



There were several reasons that influenced the decision to leave the character out of the production. The first is that I don't think that the quality of the character was up to the standard of the environment, and I decided that perhaps it would bring the overall production quality down. The second was that based on my research, very rarely were character shown in the title sequences for productions of this genre. This was in a sense to build tension and give the audience a sense of the unknown, before the piece had even really begun. Furthermore, I much preferred the idea of developing the character through his belongings and personal items, rather than showing him to the audience from the start. The only other alternative I would have considered here is using silhouettes or other abstract methods to incorporate the character, but I really wanted to stay away from introducing the character straight away. Finally, time affected the production quite a lot, and although the character was made, animating it as well as the footage I needed of the set would have been quite a substantial amount of work that I don't think I would have been able to complete. One of my initial, personal goals that I had set myself at the beginning of the brief, was to try and produce a piece of high quality work without running out of time and having this be detrimental to the quality of the production. I definitely think this had been something that let my work down in the past, and I wanted to not fall into the same trap of being over ambitious. In order to tackle this, I attempted to under promise and over deliver when it came to the building of the set and the post-production work. This, in my opinion, meant scrapping the incorporation of a character in the production and focusing exclusively on environment shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment