Tuesday 9 May 2017

OUAN603 - The Choice to Base the Narrative in Japan

There were three main reasons why, for this project I chose to base the story world in a different country and one that I had never been to. [Japan] The first reason, also probably the least important was the range of varying language films shown at MAF. The different stories from France, Korea, Vietnam, Israel made me curious to see how the way different stories work well in different languages and more importantly through different cultures.

Following on from this, I was interested in the challenge of setting a story in an unfamiliar place. One day I would like to write a story on a large scale that takes place in locations I'm very familiar with, however currently the stories that I want to tell generally take place in locations that I feel suit them best. For COP3 I liked the North American setting and the possibility of an open world, with vast landscapes scattered with towns and cities. In this case, the somewhat mysterious culture of Japan took over and I thought would suit well the type of story I wanted to tell, aside from some technical elements such as Japan being a location that cicada live as well as some European places and North America.

Finally, the most important reason why I chose to work with an unfamiliar setting allowed for a less literal portrayal of the world [this could have worked with other countries too]. Having never been to Japan there was an element of only being able to use what I had seen second hand to fuel the visuals and descriptions of the location, so in this sense it was a technique for creating mystery and wonder from my own emotions towards a place I've never been.

No comments:

Post a Comment